“And this also… has been one of the dark places of the earth.”
– Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness, Part 1
When a Facebook friend of mine sent a piece about electricity shortages in Gaza my first thought was I’ve seen that film before. So I did a Google search to counter it. I discovered the Internet was full of Bad-Jews-denying-power-to-Gaza stories. So many that this could not be coincidence. The next Gaza innocent victim story apparently is about electricity shortages.
Speaking for myself, I can’t see why Israel is required to supply people whose fondest dream is our destruction. However, apparently the Israeli Government and that strangely flexible creature World Public Opinion think differently. Israel does supply Gaza’s fuel and power needs.
Here are some things to consider for your Action Items. Things ignored by the Gaza victims of power cuts propaganda.
- Hamas has been faking power-shortage stories for years. See the photograph below. For more photographs see Darkness at Noon — MSM Plays Along with Hamas Photo Staging (Updated) at Solomonia.
- As much as this is a power-play against Israel it’s a power-struggle aimed at discrediting the Palestinian Authority. Not that discrediting the PA is such a difficult job. Hamas to PA: No electricity in Gaza, pay Israel at YNet
- Hamas has stolen fuel given as aid in the past. ‘Hamas stole 60,000 liters of Gaza fuel’, Jerusalem Post and AP.
- Gaza has enough electricity (and concrete!) to build and run a new modern shopping mall. A nice new shopping mall opened today in Gaza: Will the media report on it? Tom Gross, Mid East Media Analysis
“It is such a tragedy that, on top of all the other crises that we have in the Gaza Strip, we now have a crisis of electricity,” John Ging, director of UNRWA in Gaza, was quoted by AFP as saying.
“It’s an unbearable situation here at the moment, and it needs to be solved very quickly. It’s a Palestinian problem, made by Palestinians, and causing Palestinian suffering. So let’s have a Palestinian solution,” he added….