Don’t give the narrative away
“I realized within seconds that if I didn’t act my colleagues would die,” she told Israel Radio. “There was no time to verify if it was a real gun.”
In any other context a policewoman who shot someone sticking a gun into the face of a fellow officer would be saluted as a hero. In any other context a person who pointed a replica pistol at soldiers/police armed with real firearms would be a prime candidate for the Darwin Awards†.
As I write riots have broken out over Hebron for several hours.
- The youth’s name is variously spelled Mohammed Ziad Sulaima, Mohammad Zaid Awwad Salayam and Muhammad al-Salaymeh
- It has been reported that his brother was released from prison in the Gilad Shalit deal
- He was shot three (3X) not six or more as has been variously reported
- Nothing could be less relevant than that he was shot on his birthday
- The story that he was out to buy a birthday cake is dubious
- He had a birthday party that morning
- The Tomb of the Patriarchs is hardly the place for a cake shop
- Who buys his own birthday cake, anyway?
- He is described as teenager and youth
- At age 16/17 most Israelis are preparing for their compulsory military service. He was not a child
- The female Border Guard, herself, was only 20 years old
- His weapon was not a clearly ‘toy’ gun.
- It was a close enough replica to fool people who are used to firearms. Judge for yourself‡
- In many jurisdictions close replicas of weapons are banned
- The Border Guard acted in accordance with sensible regulations
- Use these resources to counter innocent child was murdered allegations
- For her protection:
- Only use pixellated identifying photographs e.g. top right (click for higher resolution)
- Do not use Border Guard’s name
- Female border police who shot Palestinian teenager is wanted on Facebook for ‘murder’, Aaron Kalman, Times of Israel 13 December 2012
- Security on high alert in Hebron for possible riots, Jerusalem Post 13 December 2012
† Darwin Awards recognize individuals who have contributed to human evolution by self-selecting themselves out of the gene pool via death or sterilization due to their own (unnecessarily foolish) actions.
‡ I have not personally verified the source for this photograph. It will be properly labelled (or removed) when fresh information arises.