Week 11: Was Netanyahu’s trip worth it?
In week 7 we asked, should P.M. Netanyahu go to Washington? Three quarters of what is, we admit, a tiny, self-selected sample, said yes. Now you’ve heard the speech before Congress; seen the fallout and had a chance to think about it. Was it worth it? How do we judge?
- Do we judge a speech immediately after it is given or does it require the hindsight of years?
- Does a speech that fails mean it shouldn’t have been given? I am thinking of Haile Selassie’s appeal to the League of Nations He was forced into exile.
- Should Israel be scared of the wrath of Obama?
- Did Netanyahu provoke a breach of bipartisan support of Israel or was it already there as indicated by the 2012 Democratic Convention?
- Are additional seats won after the speech by the Likud a sign of success or failure?
……The list goes on. I’m sure you have some questions, yourselves.
R.J. Matson is the editorial cartoonist with Roll Call, and is syndicated internationally by Cagle Cartoons.