2 July 2011
We had an excellent turnout at LIKE for Israel, yesterday. The television came to record us. I actually appeared on the little box for about three seconds! But the flotilla stayed in port.
On one hand, we have a few more days to prepare and recruit. On the other, it’s hard to keep the adrenaline pumping with false alarms. Most of us will take an unexpected Friday off (shuk, sponjah and sex). What will we do if the flotilla organisers are smarter than they appear and sail tomorrow or even tonight in the hope of catching us off guard?
- Did the Mossad buy us a quiet Saturday? MAYBE.
- Did the Israelis pay the local crims to sabotage? MAYBE.
- Did someone else pay the locals for a bit of fancy filing? MAYBE. Money will buy anything.
- Did the Irish buy a lemon with a wonky propeller shaft? MMMMMMMAYBE. Pounce_UK commenting in the Biased BBC blog says on the basis of his experience as Combat support boat operator in the Falklands campaign and as a small boats instructor the answer is yes! The corrosion proves it.
The truth is that this delay is costing the flotilla a fortune and it couldn’t happen to a more deserving or should that be a less deserving? bunch. I don’t much care how it happened.
Not able to set-off, the flotillistas could still sound-off. Check out this video press conference at 56 minutes†. The unidentified female speaker (judging by the voice, Huweida Arref) states that the flotilla is not about aid. The Palestinians don’t want humanitarian aid. They demand freedom. Did the audience who enthusiastically applauded her realize they were denying the narrative of the starving masses of Gaza that was there stated reason for being there?
It looks as if the Greeks are not going to let the flotilla leave for a while yet.
- Was it because they were pressured by the Israelis? MAYBE.
- Was it to cock a snoot at the Turks? MAYBE.
- Was it because the Flotilla, no matter how self-righteous they feel, are bound by the same maritime rules as everybody else? MAYBE.
The truth is that this delay is costing the flotilla a fortune and it couldn’t happen to a more deserving or should that be a less deserving? bunch. I don’t much care how it happened. Do you?
† If someone could download the video and edit it to just this statement they would be helping to discredit the flotilla from their own mouths.