The UN gets it wrong – again
14 June 2011
5MFI blog: Eyeless and unemployed in Gaza
- Unemployment figures since 2003 so the rate to be 5% higher in 2003-4-5. That is before the blockade. It’s actually better now!
- Official Palestinian figures are 15% less than UNWRA’s! Which of these liars are you to believe?
- 8 reasons for high employment – nothing to do with the blockade.
- No work in Israel since the 1st Intifada
- No work in the Gulf since the 1st Gulf War
- Gazans destroy the infrastructure left after 2005
- HAMAS attacks the factories giving work to Gazans
- Civil war drove out the Fatah aligned entrepreneurs
- Gazans are used to living on welfare
- The Gazan population is rising so fast jobs can’t keep up
- HAMAS are terrible economic administrators
Update: I forgot No. 9, which is probably number one. Gaza is at war with its largest, closest potential employer; market; supplier of raw materials, power and water; and port. That would make a mess of any economy.
Action items: (comment now)
- Gaza unemployment levels ‘among worst in world’, BBC NEWS, 14 June 2011
- UN: Unemployment Rate In Gaza Among World’s Highest, RTT News, 14 June 2011
- Gaza unemployment rate reaches one of world’s highest: UN, People’s Daily Online, 14 June 2011
- Gaza enters 5th year of Israeli blockade, news24, 14 June 2011
- UN study: Gaza unemployment rate remains among the worst in the world, Haaretz, 14 June 2011
- Report: Gaza blockade counterproductive, Elior Levy, ynet, 14 June 2011
- Jobless Gaza enters 5th year of Israeli blockade, Douglas Hamilton, Reuters, 14 June 2011
- UN Agency says unemployment in Gaza is “among the highest in the world”, MEMO Middle East Monitor, 14 June 2011
- UN Report Blames Israel Blockade For Gaza’s Economic Turmoil, International Business Times, 14 June 2011
- Gaza Jobless Rate Hits New High, Penelope Chester, UN Dispatch, 14 June 2011